10 Dead, 500 Hospitalised After Drinking Expired Juice
At least 10 persons have died and 400 hospitalised after drinking expired citric acid powdered drinks in Kano state.
Among those hospitalised are 50 patients undergoing kidney- related treatment, because of complications arising from consumption of the killer drinks, Kano Commissioner for Health, Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa disclosed on Thursday.
Speaking in a video, which was made available to newsmen in Kano State Thursday, the Commissioner explained that the affected persons are being treated in government hospitals.
He cautioned residents on consumption of juice during the period of Ramadan, to avoid catastrophic consequences.
Tsanyawa, in his one minute, twenty one seconds video message said: ”As you are aware, the Ministry of Health had in the recent past announced the outbreak of a strange disease traceable to the consumption of substandard juices.
“The consumption of these fake or substandard products have telling effects on the kidney, and vital organs of the body.”
The Consumer Protection Council has been investigating the incident, conducting searches in Kano markets and making seizures.
It was gathered the batches of some of the products show that the drinks had expired over a year ago.
Post a Comment